In this guide article, learn how to message a WhatsApp number without saving the number to your contact list.
Messaging a number on WhatsApp, first, you have to save the number to your contact list before it will show on your WhatsApp contacts for you to message. Good thing when it is a friend you are messaging, but when it is not, maybe you are sending a one-time message to a business, then it is not exactly ideal. With every contact you save to make an inquiry or order, the list of unwanted contacts on your phone gradually piles up. Well, there are ways you can message a WhatsApp contact without having to save the contact on your phone first. In this article, we are going to discuss the various ways to do that in an easy-to-understand manner like always.
WhatsApp, a very popular messaging app, operates based on contacts. Many messaging platforms out there make use of usernames to connect people, but WhatsApp makes use of those numbers saved on your phone. To enjoy the full WhatsApp peer-to-peer messaging features, both parties need to have each other’s contacts saved on their respective phones. One of such features is the WhatsApp status. However, lately, some added features have made it possible to perform certain actions without having to save the contact on your phone. One of such is messaging a contact.
One very good feature WhatsApp added to help make WhatsApp more app and website friendly was the wa.me short links. www.wa.me is a new domain by WhatsApp which allows users to open a chat window to a specific contact without having to open the app first.
To make use of the WhatsApp click to chat feature,
- Open your browser on your phone
- In the address bar, type in https://wa.me/ followed by the phone number you want to message. It should be in the format: https://wa.me/phonenumber. The phone number should be in international format without any zeros or modifiers in the country code. That is, if the country code is +001, write 1 instead without the zeros or modifiers at the beginning. So if you are messaging the number +001xxxxxxxxxx, you should type https://wa.me/1xxxxxxxxxx in the address bar of your browser.
- Now click on enter and www.wa.me domain window for the contact will open with a green click to chat button.
- Click on the green button and a chat window with the contact will open in your WhatsApp application.
Okay!!!! Here you are, in the inbox already and no number saved.
Messaging via a third-party app
One unique thing about phones and gadgets is that nothing is impossible. Because where the developer stops, some other developer finishes. So whatever you think you cannot do with your phone, check there is a third-party app that will help you do just that on your phone.
This method is just the same as the above method of using the WhatsApp click to chat feature. The only difference is you do not have to go through the entire process. The only thing you need to do is to enter the desired phone number and the app will handle the rest.
Not surprisingly, many apps do this available for download on the web. For Android users search for “whatsdirect” on the google play store and choose from the list of results. For iOS users, open the Apple store and search for “Direct Message for WhatsApp”. Download and install.
Using this app,
- open the app and select the country of the number you are messaging. This is needed to add the country code to the number.
- Enter the phone number in the space provided.
- Click on the enter button and the app will handle the rest straight into the WhatsApp messaging app.
While this is an easy way to use WhatsApp click to chat link, you should be ready to encounter some ads in the course of using this. No worries, this is typical for app developers to get support for their apps. If you do not want to encounter ads, get a premium app if there is one available.
Using the Shortcut app to message a WhatsApp number without saving it
The Shortcut app is only available for iOS users. For those running iOS version 12 and above.
Shortcut is an app by Apple that allows for the customization of built-in automation on the iPhone and iPad. Think of it as giving Siri specific instructions at the click of a button. You can create your automation on the app, but there are automation created by community members already, so you can just import them.
To make use of the Shortcut app to message a WhatsApp contact without saving it,
- Firstly, download and install the Shortcuts app from the Apple app store.
- Open the app, add any shortcut and run once. Learn how to use the Shortcut app.
- We are going to be importing an already created shortcut from another source, so go to Settings. Locate the Shortcuts all. Now click on the toggle switch to enable Allow Untrusted Shortcuts.
- Now open or this or this in your browser to download an already drafted WhatsApp non-contact shortcut.
- Click on get shortcut on the window that opens in your browser to download the shortcut.
- Click on Add Untrusted Shortcut.
- Now open the Shortcut app and search for the added shortcut. Click on it to open it.
- Enter the number you want to message, including the country code.
- Click on Enter and a new message window will open on WhatsApp.
To make this easier and faster to use, you can pin the shortcut on your home screen. To do this, search for it on the Shortcut app. Click on the 3 dots at the top of the WhatsApp to non-contact shortcut to open the options menu. Now click on Add to Home Screen. This way you can just tap in the shortcut on the home screen and input a number to start chatting instantly.
Frequently Asked Question
Q1. Can I call someone on WhatsApp without saving the contact number?
Yes, you can. Once you can open a char window with the number, just click on the call button to make a call.