Xiaomi Redmi Note 8: Redmi revealed in March 2021 that the original Redmi Note 8 has sold over 25 million devices worldwide. In May, the firm announced an updated version of the Redmi Note 8, named the Redmi Note 8 2021, to commemorate the occasion.
Xiaomi obviously intended to keep this popular gadget in production, but due to chipset shortages across the board, the chipset had to be switched to keep the model alive.
The replacement of the Snapdragon 665 chipset with a MediaTek Helio G85 is at best a side-grade, as it improves the Bluetooth radio to Bluetooth 5.2 while limiting video capture to FullHD rather than 4K.
The Redmi Note 8 2021 no longer has 6GB of RAM, just 3GB or 4GB, however it now offers 64GB of storage instead of 32GB.
Moonlight White, Space Black, and the Neptune Blue we have on our review device are the only color options available today. There are no longer any alternatives for Nebula Purple or Cosmic Purple.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 2021 Price
Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 2021 specs
- Body: 158.3×75.3×8.4mm, 190g; Glass front (Gorilla Glass 5), glass back (Gorilla Glass 5), plastic frame.
- Display: 6.30″ IPS LCD, 500 nits (typ), 1080x2340px resolution, 19.5:9 aspect ratio, 409ppi.
- Chipset: MediaTek Helio G85 (12nm): Octa-core (2×2.0 GHz Cortex-A75 & 6×1.8 GHz Cortex-A55); Mali-G52 MC2.
- Memory: 64GB 3GB RAM, 64GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 4GB RAM; eMMC 5.1; microSDXC (dedicated slot).
- OS/Software: Android 11, MIUI 12.5.
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 48 MP, f/1.8, 26mm, 1/2.0″, 0.8µm, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f/2.2, 120-degree, 1/4.0″, 1.12µm; Macro: 2 MP, f/2.4; Depth: 2 MP, f/2.4.
- Front camera: 13 MP, f/2.0, (wide), 1/3.1″, 1.12µm.
- Video capture: Rear camera: [email protected]/120fps; gyro-EIS; Front camera: [email protected]
- Battery: 4000mAh; Fast charging 18W.
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (rear-mounted); FM radio; Infrared port; 3.5mm jack.
Aside from that, the Redmi Note 8 2021 looks and functions just like its 2019 predecessor, both on the exterior and in terms of specifications and hardware. The camera, as well as the display and battery, are identical. The price tag is also same, which is arguably the worst letdown of all, because all of the specifications adjustments could have been swallowed along with a substantial price reduction.
Even yet, prices fluctuate, and the Redmi Note 8 2021 might be a good cheap option if the MSRP is correct. Let’s take a look at how the new Redmi Note 8 2021 has been affected by the modifications.
Surprisingly, the retail packaging for the Redmi Note 8 2021 appears quite identical to that of the normal Redmi Note 8.
The only distinctive elements are a few different text positions and a different wallpaper placed on the box. The box is a conventional two-piece design with good, thick cardboard all around.
In terms of bundled accessories, you receive a beautiful and sturdy clear TPU cover so you can start using the phone right away with confidence.
The bundled 22.5W Quick Charge 3+ charger adds significant value to the package. This is an improvement from the 10W charger that came with the Redmi Note 8 when it was first released. It’s still a USB Type-A device, and there’s a Type-A to Type-C connection included in the box.
Some devices will come with a factory-applied screen protector, depending on your location. And, while it isn’t the most expensive protection, it is still well appreciated.